PNR: Sweet Bicol Express
It wasn’t the smoothest and the most comfortable ride. But as for Ephraim Arriesgado's words “first time are sweet times". Indeed it was a sweet ride. Imagine doing something you are looking forward to almost a year or more! Did I overreact? Well, say it I really overreacted. Hehe…
| PNR Naga Station |
I traveled from Naga to Manila for a whopping 12 hours inside a tunnel-like train. Yes, tunnel-like train. Why? You can’t see anything from outside! Traveling at night makes the situation worse! Claustrophobic people are not advised to ride the PNR train with this route.
| PNR Naga Station |
What to do on a 12 hours train ride?
Things would have been better if the LCD TV was working or there’s Wi-Fi. If I remember it right, the management announced when they re-opened the operation that there will be Wi-Fi on the train. Given the fact that the reception of the people with regards to train travel was more of negative than positive because of a much more longer travel time as compared to the bus ride, the management plan for a comfortable train journey was kinda’ delayed. But I guess they will be soon to install it. They also plan to put a lounge area for socializing just like riding the Trans-Siberian Railway. But I found none when I asked one of the train police (yes there is train police). At least the management has these plans to improve the service. I look forward to these things happening. So all in all I did nothing except to thinks and sleep. Hehehe…
What I experience during the Travel?
Ok, I will be honest. I didn’t experience comfort. Sorry, I don’t mean to put PNR down. Why?
Because:
- It was cold… This was my fault, I was wearing shorts and a tee-shirt therefore I was susceptible to freezing…. This is a plus point for PNR (eye blink)
- Rails are bumpy… it was like riding on a roller coaster in some areas especially in the provincial part. Things would better once in Manila part because rails in Manila were renovated.
- People living beside the railway were stoning the train! I don't what the sin of the train for them to stone it top death...hehe... This is happening in the Bicol area and Manila area. This is the reason why they put a steel screen on the window so that the stones with mud will not break the glass window. I hope the government will do something with this. In fact, there should be no houses on railways because it is dangerous for the people.
![]() |
| PNR Route Map http://www.pnr.gov.ph/img/pnrroutemap.jpg |
I am hopeful that things would be better in the coming years. My dream is a country connected by trains. I don’t why, maybe because I love playing with toy trains when I was a kid or even now in simulation games that I came to like riding trains. Trains are designed for comfortable and smooth transportation. So let us hope for the best. =)
PNR Fare Table
![]() |
| Source: PNR Website |
For more information you can contact PNR at these numbers:
Manila/Tutuban:
(02) 319-0048
Lucena:
(042) 661-2990
Naga:
(054) 698-2123

