Riding the Shinkansen from Nagoya to Osaka: Our First Bullet Train Experience

The Shinkansen from Nagoya to Osaka cost ¥6,680 per person, and the travel time was approximately 49 minutes. It was our first time taking the bullet train, and the excitement was all over our faces as we approached the massive Nagoya Station.

Shinkansen

But before our Shinkansen experience, our day actually started in Kani City, where we woke up early by Japanese standards. We took the local train from Shin-Kani Station and traveled for around 50 minutes to Nagoya Station.

Shinkansen

It was intentional that we went to the station early because I wanted to have that Ghibli moment while waiting for a local train in the rural part of Japan. Lol. I guess we achieved that by sitting silently on a bench while my sinusitis attacked my moment. Haha!

Yes, I was having pollen allergies brought about by the spring flowers in Japan. This was also the reason why, throughout our journey in Japan, we were wearing face masks.

The train arrived in a stunning red color. Throughout the ride, office workers filled the train alongside students and some elderly passengers. It was a glimpse of everyday life in Japan.

Nagoya Station was our first encounter with Japanese chaos—an organized chaos.

Nagoya Station

There were people walking in all directions with big luggage inside the well-lit and well-ventilated massive structure. People were minding their own business, families were excited for their trips, office workers were rushing to their destinations, and tourists were busy taking pictures.

That's how Nagoya Station looked to us.

Most people were rushing, and the energy was contagious. You cannot just stay in the middle of the station to rethink your next move. You have to keep moving. But the good thing about Nagoya Station is that there are so many shops and restaurants around you. If you need to stop and figure things out, you can simply go inside one of them, take a break, and plan your next move.

For our part, we tried to get our Shinkansen tickets using the ticket machine, but it was too complicated for first-timers like us. Luckily, there were ticket counters selling Shinkansen tickets.

Nagoya Station

The queue was long, but the line was moving quickly. In just a matter of minutes, we were able to get our tickets going to Osaka.

I wanted to explore Nagoya Station before we boarded our train, but we decided to stay in what seemed to be a lounge while waiting for our train. We didn't want to risk getting lost or experiencing any inconvenience inside the massive station.

Nagoya Station

Instead, we simply sat down and waited for our train alongside other locals and tourists.

When we were about to board the train, I became confused with the train numbering, which made it difficult for us to find our coach.

Good thing we were early on the platform, so we still had enough time to figure things out.

I eventually gave up and decided to ask for help.

There was no police officer or station staff nearby at that time, so I approached a local man who was also waiting in line for the Shinkansen. When he saw our tickets, he immediately knew where our coach was.

Then something unexpected happened.

He left his spot in the queue and led us to our train, which was actually quite far from where he was supposed to board.

So, it's true.

Japanese hospitality in action.

When he pointed us in the right direction, I already knew where we had to go. But he went out of his way to personally show us the correct coach, making sure that we wouldn't get lost.

It was such a nice experience and, in a way, a really good welcome for us to the big cities of Japan.

I would have wanted that iconic picture of us standing in front of the Shinkansen, but by that point, we were already too confused and overwhelmed to even think about it.

Instead, we simply sat in our seats, amazed by how elegant the train looked.

Inside Shinkansen

Inside Shinkansen

A few minutes later, we realized that the train was already moving.

I looked at my watch.

11:17 AM.

It was exactly on time.

We didn't hear any dramatic signal telling us that we were leaving. There was no big moment. At exactly 11:17 AM, the train simply left Nagoya Station.

There were so many things going on in my mind at that moment.

I wanted to take pictures. I wanted to explore the train. I wanted to look out the window. I wanted to experience everything.

But in the end, I simply sat there and did nothing for maybe the first 10 minutes.

I was overwhelmed.

I was amazed.

I was finally riding the train of my dreams.

When I was in Grade 5, my class adviser shared her experience when she went to Japan.

She was amazed and in awe as she told us about her trip. She talked about their experience riding the Shinkansen and described it as the fastest train in the world. That's why it was called the bullet train—because it travels as fast as a bullet.

But what amazed me even more was another story she shared.

She told us that when they took pictures inside the train, with the window in the background, they could barely see anything outside.

Everything was a complete blur because of the speed of the train.

That simple story stayed with me.

It made Japan a dream destination for me, and the Shinkansen became one of those things I knew I had to experience at least once in my life.

And now, years later, I was finally sitting inside one.

Riding the Shinkansen felt like taking a plane ride without the turbulence.

The ride was incredibly smooth and comfortable. There were occasional impacts that you could feel whenever two trains passed each other. It wasn't uncomfortable at all. In fact, it was part of the experience.

The facilities were superb.

There was a clean toilet, vending machines, luggage spaces at the end of the coach, and overhead bins. You basically have everything you need for a comfortable journey.

You can even work while traveling, with your table, power sockets, and Wi-Fi available onboard.

And before we knew it, we had already arrived at Shin-Osaka Station.

Forty-nine minutes.

That's it.

Shin-Osaka Station

Shin-Osaka Station

The ride was definitely expensive for a journey that lasted less than an hour. But when you give it a second thought, perhaps that's the price you pay for the value and experience it gives.

Sometimes, nice things cost a little more.

And for us, this wasn't just a ¥6,680 train ride.

It was a childhood dream finally coming true.




Featured Post

How We Got Our South Korea Visa in 2026 | Simplified Visa Application for Filipinos

Applying for a South Korean tourist visa was one of the things we had to take care of before our trip to Korea. Honestly, I thought the proc...

Klook.com