Our First Day in Japan: Nagoya Castle, Cherry Blossoms & a Lost Wallet

In 2023, we finally went to Japan.

Our first stop was Nagoya City, mainly because we arrived at Chubu Centrair International Airport, the main international gateway serving the Chubu region of Japan.

But this trip was also special because we were meeting someone very close to us. One of my best friends from high school, whom I had not seen for quite some time, came to the airport with her family to pick us up. They live in Gifu, which is roughly an hour away from Nagoya by car.

Instead of heading straight to their house, we decided to make our first stop in Japan a historic one.

Nagoya Castle


A First Look at Nagoya

Nagoya Castle is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Nagoya. The original castle dates back to the early 17th century, when it was constructed under the Tokugawa shogunate. The castle played an important role in the history of the region and became one of the symbols of Nagoya.

Of course, what immediately caught our attention was the castle's famous golden shachihoko decorations on top of the main keep. These mythical creatures, which resemble a combination of a tiger and a carp, are traditionally believed to protect buildings from fire.

Unfortunately, the main keep was already closed to visitors when we went because of ongoing preservation and reconstruction efforts. Still, there was plenty to see around the castle grounds.

And since we visited in March 2023, we were lucky enough to catch the beginning of the cherry blossom season. 🌸

Nagoya Castle

One of the things I was looking forward to most about visiting Japan was seeing the cherry blossoms.

March was a good time to visit because some of the sakura around the castle grounds were already blooming. They were not yet at full bloom everywhere, but seeing those first flowers against the historic castle buildings made the experience feel even more special.

For us, it was also a nice introduction to Japan.

Imagine arriving from the Philippines, meeting an old friend at the airport, and just a short while later, you're standing inside the grounds of a centuries-old Japanese castle surrounded by cherry blossoms.

Nagoya Castle

It was a pretty good way to start our Japan adventure.

We spent some time walking around the grounds, taking photos, admiring the traditional architecture, and simply enjoying our first few hours in Japan.

After exploring Nagoya Castle, it was time to continue our journey.

Our next destination was Gifu, where our friend and her family live. This was also where our Japan adventure really began, as we got the chance to experience the country not just as tourists, but also through the eyes of someone who actually lives there.

Wallet Incident

Before heading to my friend’s house, we decided to get some clothes at GU. When we parked, I realized that I had lost my wallet. My instinct told me that I had left it at the airport because that was where I last used it when I withdrew money from the ATM.

My friend immediately called the airport, and someone had found it and turned it over to the authorities. Whew! Thank God! It had all my credit and debit cards, along with some of my important IDs.

We initially thought of just taking the train, but my friend’s husband suggested that we go there by car instead. It was another hour-long drive! I was so embarrassed, but I really needed my wallet.

We got to the airport and retrieved my wallet. In my mind, I thought, This is a great way to begin our journey. We just witnessed how honest the people in Japan are.

If this had happened in another country, I’m not sure if we would have been able to recover my wallet.



Featured Post

How We Got Our South Korea Visa in 2026 | Simplified Visa Application for Filipinos

Applying for a South Korean tourist visa was one of the things we had to take care of before our trip to Korea. Honestly, I thought the proc...

Klook.com